Calgary Events - Things to do in Calgary
Latest News about Calgary - Calgary in Real Time
Calgary vs Ottawa: Which City is better for families with children?
- Scenic places (nice skiing, camping, hiking etc. spots) - your kids will learn all outdoor sports instead of just fishing and canoeing in Ontario. (Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, Waterton are less than 2 hours drive from Calgary)
- Affordable housing
- Less taxes
- Oil and Gas industry boosting the economy
- Tons of Ottawa has govt jobs
- Proximity to world class city of Toronto
- Ottawa is slightly cheaper (rent, restaurants, groceries)
- Ottawa is more diverse
- Ottawa winter is less harsh than Calgary's
- Ottawa has most of the national museums and art gallery, government buildings, many school options (French immersion is a strong attraction)
- Read more here:
Which one is better to live in, Calgary or Edmonton? Why?
- Weather: you have more sunshine and less harsh winter in Calgary with occasional positive temperature in the middle of the winter because of the Chinook winds: Calgary wins
- Cost of life: Edmonton rent, home ownership, food, clothing is slightly cheaper than same items in Calgary: Edmonton wins
- Job Opportunities: more blue collar jobs in Edmonton, more white collar jobs in Calgary: tie
Education: Edmonton has one of the top university in Canada called University of Alberta. University of Calgary has a first class business school called Hayskane school of business. Edmonton wins.
- City's architecture: Calgary seems newer, nicely architected and just more beautiful to me by far: Calgary wins
- People: just the same to me, no difference: tie
- Size and population: Calgary (1.3 million people, 825 km2) is larger and have more people than Edmonton (1 million people, 684 km2): I won't call this a win
- Mountains and lakes : Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Jasper National Park, Waterton Lakes National Park, are all closer to Calgary than Edmonton: Calgary Wins
- Summer festivities: Both cities have great and similar festivals, but Calgary hosts the greatest western festival on earth in July called the Stampede. Calgary wins.
- Sunshine: Calgary has way more sunshine that Edmonton. In fact, Calgary is amongst the top city with sunshine exposure in the entire country. Sunshine is happiness. Calgary wins.
- Politics: Both cities are economically conservative. Edmonton is a little bit more socially liberal than Calgary. Who cares? Tie.
Sports: Flames(NHL)and Stampeders(CFL)in Calgary, Oiler(NHL) and Eskimos(CFL) in Edmonton. Several amateur leagues, indoor and outdoor facilities for soccer, hockey, basketball, football and baseball in both cities; ShowUpAndPlay in Calgary, ShowUpAndPlay in Edmonton : Tie
Bars and Pubs: Cowboys in Calgary, Black dog free house in Edmonton are the most populars. Cowboy culture in both cities but not violent, no guns. Tie ( The 10 Best Nightclubs in Calgary , The Best Nightlife in Edmonton - TripAdvisor )
Downton: See Calgary Downtown inRealTimeNow.com. See Edmonton inRealTimeNow.com They are both vibrant and Nice: Tie
Cleanliness: Calgary is one of the cleanness cities in the world. I am in awe myself whenever I walk downtown and in my neighbourhood of Walden. Calgary wins by far.