The territory of present-day Cameroon was first settled during the Neolithic Era. The longest continuous inhabitants are groups such as the Baka ( Pygmies). From here, Bantu migrations into eastern, southern, and central Africa are believed to have originated about 2,000 years ago. The Sao culture arose around Lake Chad, c. 500 AD, and gave way to the Kanem and its successor state, the Bornu Empire. Kingdoms, fondoms, and chiefdoms arose in the west. Portuguese sailors reached the coast in 1472. They noted an abundance of the ghost shrimp Lepidophthalmus turneranus in the Wouri River and named it Rio dos Camarões (Shrimp River), which became Cameroon in English. Over the following few centuries, European interests regularised trade with the coastal peoples, and Christian missionaries pushed inland.
Le Cameroun ou , en forme longue la république du Cameroun (en anglais : Cameroon et Republic of Cameroon), est un pays d' Afrique centrale, situé entre le Nigéria au nord-ouest, le Tchad au nord, la République centrafricaine à l'est, le Gabon et la Guinée équatoriale au sud, la république du Congo au sud-est et le golfe de Guinée au sud-ouest.
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
What are the most popular or common dances in Cameroon?
- Lack of Infrastructure
- Football. Who's not conversant with Indomitable Lions? Cameroon, just like her neighbour Nigeria, has dominated in matters concerning football in Africa. Samuel Eto’o, Idriss Kameni, Rigobert Song, Alex Song, Vincent Aboubakar, Roger Milla just to name but a few… Music. Makosa. I guess that's the spelling of the genre music San Fan Thomas sings…my favourite being Mole. Such a nice music. You can't sit while it sings.
- Anglophone-Francophone feud and skirmishes. I don't understand what the hell boils between these two groups but it's just annoying. One group (English speakers) allegedly feels looked down upon by the majority (French).
- Bantu Expansion. I'm a Lacustrine Bantu Speaker, Gusii, to be succinct, who are found in South Western part of Kenya. I've been reading about our history of migration and all point to one source, Cameroon.
- Paul Biya. Well, this is a draconian leader according to various media outlets. Wait, his wife who happens to be the First Lady is half his age!! Chantelle or Cheryl? Nevertheless, Power, Money and Sex is what man is after after all.
- Cocoa. I understand besides Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire and Nigeria, Cameroon is also another large scale producer of this crop.
- Douala and Yaoundé. One of the most known cities in Africa. Once upon a time, our own freight, Kenya Airways (KQ) crashed in Douala due to bad weather. I guess, many Kenyans familiarised themselves with these two cities.
- “Africa in a Miniature”. It's understood that Cameroon is the only country in Africa with all the climatic and vegetation variance from the wet tropical rainforest in the south, upto the arid conditions near Lake Chad, in the North.
What is unique about the cuisine in Cameroon?
Are there places to stay other than hotels in Cameroon?
- Host family: If you know someone in Cameroon even remotely, they can host during your stay.
- Short term rental apartments (Florencia Palace in Yaounde)
- If you are a Doctor, nurse or medical student, you can stay at Groupe Sante Afric in Douala (Contact us and we will forward your request to the Clinic) in exchange for volunteer work at the clinic.
How can businesses accept online payments in Cameroon?
Cameroon: What are some good Cameroonian films?
Yves Tchouta's film
Who is the best forward (avant-centre) in football or soccer in the history of Cameroon?
Send us your popular Cameron WhatsApp group invite link opened to the public and we will feature it here.