World Latest News
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on r/singapore ever since I got to this wonderful garden-city about a year ago. You've been a great source of information and fun - thank you very much!
I've finally created an account for self-promotional reasons, but also because I hope this might genuinely interest you :
A friend and I have recently launched a podcast focusing on free-format conversations with interesting people from Singapore. Our most recent episode is a 1 hour conversation with Joe Augustin, with a second hour coming up this Saturday.
Feel free to have listen / subscribe on our website
Although we already have quite a number of guests lined up for future episodes, we're always looking for new recommendation on who to talk to - especially locals - so feel free to reach out!
I should note that the podcast reflects our own particular experience of Singapore : that of male trailing-spouses. Although we're quite obviously fortunate and privileged in many ways, we hope that our conversations may also give some insight into the lesser known aspects of our circumstance - one we think will become more and more prevalent as gender equality continues to improve world-wide.
Anyway, hope this interests you and have a great weekend :)submitted by /u/rollebol to r/singapore
Juliet #3 Yesterday at 10:47 PM
this is the real reason kar left discord
now he doesn't have to hear us telling him that his science is bullshit
eat salt Yesterday at 10:48 PM
Science facts can’t melt family values ™
magi093 Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Tomorrow morning I'm writing a post about how fucking stupid this whole thing is and tacking it right on Reddit so he has to look at it
So I'm gonna rant about r/RisingFront. Normally these tirades happen on Discord, but because that really wrecked some guy's new car, I'm doing it here. fite me irl.
...has its gravity cranked up to 85gs in normal operation. 97 for training.
Okay, this is the Seventh World. The gravity manipulation is fine - we have far more fantastic things going on in that department. But let's do some math.
The men stand between 7 and 8 feet
Well, rats. We don't have real-world body-builders that tall, but let's make an estimate. Specifically, let's tack some more mass onto the legendary Terry Crews. Mr. Crews weighs in at 245 lbs on Earth, but because we're doing !!SCIENCE!! we'll need his mass - an even 111 kilograms. If we add a fairly conservative 10 kg to that (~ 22 lbs on earth) we might have a good idea of the "average" RF børk's mass. A high-school physics student can now tell you that this creature must be surviving a constant 10285 N of force to stand when the room is in "normal operation."
Let's assume this monster wanted to pick up an average banana (ballpark 120g.) This banana weighs 10200 N (again, "normal operation", about 2293.05 lbs.)
A Tesla Model S (yes, yes, /r/HailCorporate) weighs 4,323 lbs.
Assuming my math is correct so far, this banana weighs about 53% of a car. Also, picking it up a single foot (0.3048 meters) would require 3108.96 joules of energy. I'm not about to do the conversions from joules to calories (thermodynamics is hard) but a gram of TNT contains only 1075J more energy (TNT detonates at a heat of 4184 J/g, according to NIST.)
Again, all this hinges on you not being instantly pancakified by the force of gravity to begin with.
So why does the guy who writes for a demonchild that has been observed to create fire, briars, and bread from almost thin air have an issue with realism anyway?
I dunno. Maybe it has something to do with the title of the first post. Maybe it has something to do the whole idea that you can move anything this fast (I'll do the math for the acceleration on this later.) (also arguably godmodding Violet!) Maybe there's some part of me that disagrees with the reeking smell of conservative Catholicism. Actually, there's probably a few people who don't like that smell, but that's just an educated guess. Maybe I prefer slow, incremental building, instead of coming out the gate looking like a guy who exploited 5e.
Anyway. That's my rant./u/magi093 to r/worldproblems
- China and America May Be Forging a New Economic Order The Atlantic
- Trump Is Winning His Trade War With China. Here's Why That Might Not Last Fortune
- Learning With: 'Trump Hits China With Tariffs on $200 Billion in Goods, Escalating Trade War' New York Times
- Trump and Chinese tariffs: How not to make a deal The Boston Globe Full coverage
Reality TV Doctor Accused of Sexually Assaulting Women with Girlfriend Likened to 'Bonnie and Clyde' Team
- Pompeo Sets January 2021 Deadline for North Korea Denuclearization New York Magazine
- Experts are underwhelmed by North Korea's promise to dismantle missile site Minnesota Public Radio News
- North Korea willing to 'permanently dismantle' Yongbyon nuclear site IHS Jane's 360
- Moon Shot in Korea Wall Street Journal
- Declare End to Korean War, South's Leader Urges US New York Times Full coverage
- Foreign minister: Trump advised Spain to build wall across Sahara to stop migrants USA TODAY
- Trump suggested Spain build a wall across the Sahara to stop Mediterranean migrants: Report Washington Examiner
- Trump suggested a wall across the Sahara, according to Spain's foreign minister Washington Post
- 9 Interesting Sahara Desert Facts - Conservation Institute Conservation Institute
- Donald Trump urged Spain to 'build the wall' – across the Sahara The Guardian Full coverage